Wednesday, June 29, 2011


A lil random anecdote:

The other day, I went to say hello to some friends who live next door. As I walked into the concession, a naked baby was crying on the floor. So I picked her up and started playing with her so she'd stop crying. And then I felt something sandy and hot on my arm. Poo. Lots of poo. I kindly handed her off to another child and washed off my arm. Then I greeted my friends and sat down to hold her newborn baby. I started playing with the baby and....hot liquid running down my shirt and panya. Baby pee. I kindly handed her off. My friend said, "when a baby pees or poops or vomits on you, that means you're going to have a baby". I had to kindly tell her that that will not be happening anytime soon. The throw-up is still yet to occur.

And another:

So children are terrified of Ashia. This is clear. My mother generously sent me books in French for children to read (slash look at, that whole reading thing is still to be determined) when they randomly come to visit. However, children no longer visit. Because of Ashia. Every afternoon, however, they do come over and call Ashia to play. Which involves all the children in our neighborhood standing in a group, and I run towards them, and Ashia runs with me, and all the children scream and run away. They love it. The majority of the time, Ashia just stops running when I stop, so the game doesn't exactly work. But every now and again, she will pick one child and run after that innocent boy or girl. She never hurts them, obviously, but it is hysterical to see their reactions when they see that she is indeed right on their heels.

And another:

So panya is a piece of fabric wrapped around a woman's waist. The only thing that holds it on is the Mu symbol (anyone physics, anyone? the M symbol coincides with the amount of friction given to a certain object, every object has a different M coefficient, and when panya is wrapped around the waist and tucked in, this power of friction, and possibly a bit of inertia? science people help me out... is what prevents the panya from falling and leaving the woman bottomless). So I am walking down the dirt road with Ashia and we turn a corner. Two innocent, unexpecting children see Ashia and start freaking out. The boy runs into the nearest concession and the little girl starts running and screaming. And Ashia runs after her. So she starts running in circles around me to place some sort of barrier between herself and the crazy puppy. So she is running in circles and screaming and making a scene around me....can anyone see where this story is going?... and one tug on me....and the panya is gone. Thank goodness I wasn't holding anything, so I quickly grabbed the fabric from her hands/the ground and rewrapped it. I will be wearing another non-wrap-skirt underneath panya from now on.

Climate here right now: absolutely gorgeous. It is sooooo green and I have a feeling it will only continue. People have made comments when visitng me about the level of weeds in my yard. Well actually the comment goes something like "oh so you like snakes?"....so I've started pulling all weeds in my front yard, back yard and garden. A bit every day isn't so bad, and it's a killer workout.

Workouts for today:
Pulled weeds in garden 6-6:30 am
Swept house and washed floor 6:30-7:00 am
Washed dishes 7:30 am
Walked to health center (not actually sure the distance, but it takes about 15 min) 8:30 am
+ walked back from health center 2:00 pm
Swept and mopped house again 3:30 pm
Did laundry 3:30 - 4:00 pm
Pulled some water from well 4:00 pm
Helped knead dough to make bennets with the fam 8:00 pm
.......I think if I stopped eating couscous, my body would be rocking. But, ya, that's not gonna happen. Couscous = life here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment