Monday, August 15, 2011

30 juillet 2011
These are things that have happened that i COULD tell you about:
-crashing down my bicycle in my house at 10pm in a successful killing of a cockroach
-people telling me that i know dii very well
-planting morenga in my garden with children
-riding my bicycle to the next town in search of tomatoes, and getting a flat tire on the way
-giving my supervisor's puppy a bath and watching the fleas and ticks jump off of her after
-teaching Nini, a girl neighbor, how to write her name
but instead I'm going to say:
just having some normal every-day kinda days out at post. things that would have phased me before or made good stories are now just part of my normal, everyday life. i'm just getting used to everything and, although it's less exciting than when i first arrived, i like it that way because it shows that i'm just living.

Nothing beats a sunset in village

My hands will never be the same. at the current moment, these are my hands:
left hand fingernails: painted black from henna (called seepa here)
right index finger: cut from chopping up ochre/gumbo into little pieces to make a sauce
both thumbs: blisters from using the shovel all day in the garden
both ring and pinky fingers: tiny cuts from employing my hands as a mower for the sharp, long grass around my house
right thumb: healing cut from cutting hakondiam last week to make a sauce
under fingernails: dirt, dirt and more dirt from working in the garden and planting beans
joints: achy from making kneading dough the other night with my friend to make bennets

Little Sadia falling asleep (mid-biscuit) on my floor during a rainstorm

No comments:

Post a Comment