Saturday, October 1, 2011

When the world gives you sour milk....

....you make cheese? So, I was at the hospital the other day and a Fulbe woman selling milk arrived. I bought a liter of fresh milk for 250 FCFA (approximately 50 cents). I asked my supervisor's family during lunch how to store the milk so it won't go bad. My supervisor said boil it all tonight and then bring it to a boil again tomorrow morning before I want to drink it. My supervisor's son, on the other hand, said to just leave it out tonight and bring it all to a boil tomorrow. Now I was in a dilemma. To boil or not to boil the milk during the evening. I decided to conduct an experiment; I boiled half at night and kept the other half in a separate container not boiled. When I woke up in the morning, I boiled again the pre-boiled milk. It tasted normal, just like the day before, and I used it in cereal. I picked up the lid to the non-boiled milk, and immediately an awful smell filled the room. It had gone bad overnight...or so I thought. I figured I could give it to the dog anyway, so I started heating it...and soon noticed a change happening to the bad-smelling milk. It was starting to form chunks and I began stirring the liquid with a spoon. When I lifted the spoon, something stuck onto it; CHEESE. It wasn't very much cheese, but I extracted as much as I could. I thought to myself "if I get sick tomorrow, atleast I know why". It tasted so good! Straight up mozzerella! But, after the liquid continued to heat up and boil, the cheese chunks soon melted and were no more. I gave the warm milk to the dog and went about my day happy as ever that my experiments were successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment