Thursday, October 21, 2010

Philadelphia Pre-Service Training

Hope everyone is doing well on this lovely Thursday! I arrived in Philadelphia yesterday from Burlington and began Pre-Service Training, better known as PST. PST is the first time all of the volunteers meet each other. My class includes 43 total persons who will be volunteering in either the health or agriculture sectors. Everyone seems very nice. Not other Vermonters :( but that's alright. Many of the states are represented, including many states out west (California, Oregon, etc.). I am excited to get to know the other volunteers further and work together to learn the languages and culture when in Niger.
During PST yesterday, there were a lot of discussion about our expectations for the Peace Corps service as well as what we can expect from Peace Corps. We also discussed anxieties and aspirations for Niger. It was beneficial to know that many of us are on the same page and share similar hopes and fears. We then talked about logistics of the trip and how the next few days are going to pan out.
This morning we went to the Occupational Health clinic to receive Yellow Fever vaccinations. This is the only vaccination we will receive until we get in country. In country, we will also begin malaria prophylaxis medicine.
 We are soon taking a bus from Philadelphia to JFK where we will leave this evening. Our first flight will bring us to Paris, and, after that, Niamey, Niger. I cannot guarantee Internet connection for the next three months of training. I know that we will all be studying language and culture during the day, and then staying with a host family in the evenings and during the weekends. My hope is to write journal entries on my computer in the evenings and then post a big blog when I am able to reach an Internet source. Until then, best of luck and happiness to everyone. Keep in touch please! I will update you about my journey through Niger when possible :)

Sister reunion in Vermont before departure: Sarah and me

3 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL GIRLS!!! ;) love ya both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful picture alison! im so excited to read about your EVERY MOVE <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooohhh great picture!! Thanks for the two boxes you left me...nice little surprises in there. Hope you read my letter and made it safely to Niger. Well I guess it's about time to send the care package of cookies since it'll take three months to get there...haha, just kidding. ok the end of babble for now. Love you. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete